Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Everyone's a Critic - John's turn

Sandy’s appearance on Bill Maher generated quite a bit of email. We thought our readers might be interested in seeing some of it, along with Sandy’s response:

John writes:

Sandy,

I was just wondering if you actually believe what you said on his show or if you were just following the party line. I am sick to death of people like you and organizations like the one's you are associated with telling me how to live my life. My morals are just fine, thank you, and I don't need them legislated or controlled by those conservatives who don't seem to be able to keep their own house in order. Do the names Abrahamoff and Foley mean anything to you?

Sandy's response:

To Spirit John 1:

What a great screen name, John! Would love to hear THAT story...Yes...I actually believe the things I said on Real Time...I usually do....mean what I say, don't you?

You've challenged me on two fronts....the "Party Line" and my draconian Christian faith.

To the first, I would say that I have never been a "Party Girl." It's truth, honor, and good public policy I'd like to hold both parties to....apart from defending President Bush on the War in Iraq, I'm not sure what I said to make you think I was promoting the Republican Party. I'm as concerned about the behavior of Mark Foley and Jack Abramoff as I am about Barney Frank and Bill Clinton. Aren't you?

I'm glad to hear your morals are just fine. What did I say that made you think I thought they weren't? Isn't it interesting the way people view Christians these days? I declare I am a Christ-follower and that conjures up in you a vitriolic response to things I never even said. What do you suppose is at the root of that? Is there NO believer in Jesus in your life who is kind and loving and honest and moral and gracious and forgiving, but still steadfast on what is true? Isn't there anyone anywhere around you who exemplifies that?

The real Jesus is irresistible, John. When you see Him...and really know Him, somehow your morals don't seem just fine. Suddenly you are weeping and asking forgiveness and first thing you know, he is forgiving and loving you and last thing you see is your life really is changing....not because you were forced, but because you wanted to.

That's what I've experienced in my life....that's what I've seen over and over again in the lives of my family and friends and people all over the world I've had a chance to meet. There is new life...abundant..and rich...to be had when you serve Him.

If you could shake loose your stereo-type-me and just look at Him, you could experience that too.

I'm glad you wrote...hope you are too.

Sandy Rios