Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Mother of Nine Refuses Cancer Treatment to Save Her Unborn Child’s Life

Contrast this model of maternal love to the one we highlighted here:
Laura Alejandra Figeroa, 39, was diagnosed with breast cancer last March. Rather than risk the life of her unborn baby, she made the decision to postpone chemotherapy treatment until after his birth. Her son Pedro was born July 12th at 27 weeks gestation...

Figeroa’s cancer has now spread to her brain and is considered irreversible, the Argentinian Catholic weekly Cristo Hoy reported last week.

Figeroa told Cristo Hoy she hoped her decision would help the work of defending the life of the unborn, in an interview several months ago.

“Today, more than ever, there are people who are against life, who want to legalize abortion, which I consider an abominable crime, and therefore I ask that this testimony encourage those who read it to defend the unborn.

“I would like all women who are pregnant to remember that no situation, no matter how difficult, justifies taking the life of the baby in their omb. Not even in cases of rape or life of the mother.”

She made the decision in order to show her love “to this child that is coming in the same way that I have shown it to the other children I have. I want my child to know that I love him and that I will always love him, that I will give my life for him if necessary.
Please pray fervently for this courageous woman and for her family!

(Reminds me of the song: Amazing Love! O what sacrifice! The Son of God, given for me. My debt He paid, and my death He died...that I might live.)